IRVM Roadside Technician Internship
Date Posted: 2/22/2019
Department: Secondary Roads
Type of Employment: Part-Time
Deadline: March 29, 2019
Wage: $13.39 / hour
The Benton County Secondary Roads Department is seeking a qualified individual to fill an IRVM Roadside Technician Internship located in Vinton, IA. The application for this position can be found at the link below.
Secondary Roads Department Application
The IRVM Roadside Technician Internship offers an exciting opportunity for those interested in gaining experience in the field of Ecosystem Management. This position was created in the Integrated Roadside Vegetation Management program with two goals in mind. The first is to offer professional development to those working toward full-time employment in this competitive field. The second is to have the successful applicant apply their skills to help further the goals of the IRVM program.
Benton County has over 5000 acres of road right-of-way that are managed by the county’s Secondary Roads Department. When right-of-way is disturbed for various projects the county’s Integrated Roadside Vegetation Management Program is tasked with reconstructing prairie in these areas. The IRVM Roadside Technician Intern will work under the direction of the Roadside Manager to accomplish work related to these reconstructions.
Additionally, the successful applicant will be tasked with honing skills and acquiring certifications that are a necessity in the field of Ecosystem Management. Assuming that the applicant has not attained them prior to employment, the following skills and certifications will be sought: CDL, Pesticide Applicators License (Categories 1A and 6), Prescribed Fire Training (S130, S190, S290), Native Plant Identification, General Equipment Maintenance and Use.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plant and maintain native grass/forb communities in newly graded, cleaned out or otherwise disturbed sites on county rights-of-way.
- Inventory and documenting plant communities and trends along county rights-of-way.
- Manage roadside prairie remnants to improve diversity and promote their continued health.
- Conduct brush and tree removal in the road right-of-way.
- Participate in prescribed burning operations in county right-of-way.
- Construct and place signs to mark established prairie plantings in Benton County ROW.
Noxious and Invasive Weed Management:
- Aid the Roadside Manager and Roadside Technician in controlling noxious weeds in Benton County right-of-way.
- Assist the Benton County Weed Commissioner in addressing noxious weed complaints.
- Management and removal of roadside trees and brush
- Acquire Class A or B CDL with Air Brake and Tanker Endorsement
- Acquire Pesticide Applicators License in Categories 1A (Agriculture) and 6 (Right-of-Way)
- Acquire Wild Land Fire Training Certifications (S-130, S-190, S-290)
- Routine maintenance of department equipment and facilities.
- Present prairie related talks to local community groups to spread information about IRVM.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applicant is required to be enrolled in or graduated from an educational program related to natural resource management.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher).
- Demonstration of strong organization skills
- Demonstration of good oral and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of native and introduced plant species including identification
- Ability to work well with the public and private sectors on diverse roadside projects
- Basic knowledge of wildlife management and conservation practices
- Ability to operate and maintain power equipment
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize job activities to achieve maximum results
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, push or pull and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally exert up to 50 pounds of force to move objects.
The visual requirements for this position are similar to those classified as machine operations. This is a minimum standard for use with those whose work deals with machines such as lathes, drill presses, power saws and mills where the seeing job is at or within arm’s reach. Also, mechanics and skilled tradespeople and those who do work of a non-repetitive nature such as carpenters, technicians, service people, plumbers, painters, mechanics, etc.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This worker is subject to outside environmental conditions year around. This worker is subject to extreme cold and extreme heat. The worker is subject to noise and hazards including moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals; conditions that may include fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gasses or poor ventilation; oils.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, cover letter and a completed Benton County job application to the Benton County Secondary Roads Department, 1707 West 1st Street, Vinton, IA 52349 or apply online at the link below. If applying online, please attach your resume and cover letter to the online application. For more information contact Ben Bonar at 319-472-2211 or email email@example.com.